Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Theme # 73 "Cutlery"




I haven't been feeling too well the past few days so here I am again trying to play catch up. My wife had some kind of virus and guess where I caught it from. Well nothing I can do about it now so life goes on.
I tried so many different shots of different pieces of silverware and just could not get it down. Finally I said to my self "keep it simple" and got rid of all the extra hardware and picked three forks. The background I chose is a festive holiday place mat. This beautifully wooden boxed silver set of eight was given to my wife and I as a wedding gift back in 1959 by my father's mother and sister.
I probably took 10-15 RAW shots to get a couple of keepers. I don't have a true Macro lens so I tried every one out to try and get everything in focus. I ended up shooting practically straight down at the forks to keep it in one plane for focus clarity. The image was taken today January 14, 2009 at 1:35PM.
Exif data is as follows: Nikon D-90 with a Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 lens, zoom @ 35mm, Matrix metering, no exposure comp., 2.5 sec @ f/11, ISO-200, WB -auto, no flash and tripod mounted. Enjoy

9 comments:

  1. Nice set up, like the simplicity, also like the pattern behind the forks (it really makes the forks the main interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Semoga Lekas Sembuh, as they say in Indonesia, for a sick man you take a pretty mean Photo. When I think of Highland Cutlery, I think of Kirks, Dirks and cutlasses, but it is good to see you take the fork less travelled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I think you achieved your goal with simplicity and your tablecloth is the perfect backdrop for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how everything is so artfully arranged.
    Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautifully done. Congrats.

    (Hope you're feeling better.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Eddie. And thanks for providing all the info about how you shot it - very useful for everyone. The arrangement turned out really nice despite your shooting difficulties.

    This is such a beautiful silver pattern. I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating. I love the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Background choice definitely enhances the forks...this photo turned out great! Hope you're both feeling better now too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished getting the 365ers blogroll on my blog and now getting a chance to visit everyone. Great photos. I especially love this one - and your telling of your experimenting to get the right shot. The placemat's colors and placement of the forks is really great. Enjoyed all your photos.

    ReplyDelete