Saturday, January 10, 2009

Theme # 255 "Red"



Its been snowing outside just about all day so figured I would again pick a inside type topic. It's the Christmas and New year time so my wife got some Poinsettia's for decorations around the house. Believe it or not this particular Poinsettia was the smallest one that we had. I would say a 4" pot. But it had such a beautiful center that I chose this one for this image.
Since one of the purposes that we are all posting is to learn and sharpen up our techniques I'll bore you with the details providing another senior moment doesn't set in. I positioned the flower on my living room couch with a nice green table cloth for my background. Side lighting was coming from the right side a little bit in front of the plant. Because the outdoor light was so poor and diffused because of the snow I used fill flash at around -2 full stops. I did not want the flash to wash out the vivid colors. This meant that in Post processing I would have to increase my exposure which is what I did. My Exif data is as follows:
Image taken on January 10, 2009 @ 3:37 PM. Nikon D-90, RAW capture, Aperture Preferred mode, Auto WB, ISO-200, 18-200 VR lens at 34mm-1/60th sec f/5.6. Note VR is off when shooting from tripod. Fill flash used at - 2 stops. Post processing was done in Lightroom 2.2 and framed in Photoshop. I know that you will start to notice that a lot of my images are vivid and saturated but that is the way I see and perceive the world. I hope you enjoy.
Eddie

9 comments:

  1. The pattern on the tablecloth complements the geometry of the flower, which (at least to me) makes the photo extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your "boring" how to's (they don't bore me at all - so thank you)! This is really a gorgeous poinsettia plant - nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on Bobbie's and Tammy's comments and things don't get much redder than that. Plus you already have next year's Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm -- I thought the pattern on the tablecloth was just my old eyes playing tricks on me.

    Beautiful image, Eddie! A poinsettia deserves the vivid, saturated look you gave it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo, this would be pretty on a card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shot, Eddie! Never too early to start on a card for next Christmas. Thanks for the details on your set-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's all been said above, but I'll say it again: it's a beautiful photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a beautiful photo! And for the how-to's attached. I always love learning from someone who's talent surpasses mine, be it photography or horse training!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally can tell you how wonderful this photo is! The lighting, the textures, the colors..I love it!

    ReplyDelete