Saturday, January 31, 2009

Theme # 139 "Hands"




"Hands"......I know that I basically composed this image, in my mind, the first day I saw the 365 theme list. I also believe in order for a image to have a sense of being or character that the story behind the image is sometimes as important as the image itself. That said I will try to provide some background and insight in the making of this photo. In 1997 my mom's health took a turn for the worse and she suffered a slight stroke and required hospitalization and rehabilitation. My father has long been deceased and also her second husband so my wife and I became care-takers for my mother. Anyone who has done this for their elder parents knows how difficult it is at times. In 2007 my Mom's care escalated to such a degree that it was best for all concerned to place her in an assisted living care facility where proper care could be administered. This was by far the most painful and difficult decision that my wife and I have ever had to make. The guilt, sobbing, crying and sever emotional pain were with us until we sought help from the Alzheimer's foundation and went for group and individual counseling. They explained so clearly the "Journey" that my Mom was on and nothing we could do would change that journey. We did the best we could for ten years and now suffer no guilt at all. When my Mom was placed in the nursing home they all told us that acclimation to this facility would come about when she started to make contact and friends. These "Hands" are of my mother Gladys, and her dear friend Ruth. When they became friends my Mom sort of settled in and felt safe and secure in her new home. My mom is now 91 and Ruth's age I really do not know. When I went to visit her today she asked if I have seen Ruth as she has not been around for a few days. I wheeled Mom over to Ruth's room and the three of us had quite a chat and I asked permission of Ruth and my Mom to take a few pictures. Well here is one result. Too me my short story adds depth to the image as now We know who, where and what they are.....but Two strangers from different walks of life.... each on their own individual path of their life's journey finding friendship and strength from one another when meeting in their next to final home. We have made friends with at least thirty or more residents at this facility and when my wife and I visit my Mom we visit them all.
Exif data is as follows: Image taken on January 30, 2009 @ 3:52PM, Nikon D-90,RAW, Aperture Preferred Mode, WB-Auto, ISO-200, Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens at 1/60 sec. f/5.6,zoom @44mm. Hand held and in/on camera flash fired with minus one stop compensation.

18 comments:

  1. The photo is superb, the story way better, your clarity of life an inspiation. Who cares about the Exif. You shut me up Mr Storyman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect. I agree the story makes it even better! Tell your Mom hi from me when you see her next. I am praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful picture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story and the photograph bring tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story, Edmund - you brought tears to my eyes. When my grandpa passed away my grandma came to live with us, and last year we had to make that very same decision - you are right, one of the hardest decisions of our life! She has now been in assisted living for almost a year, she still doesn't like it there, but she had friends and is finally participating in the activities and seems to enjoy it! I think your photo is one of my favorites to date! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've captured a poignant, personal, private moment. Thanks for sharing both the story and the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can feel the friendship here. very good photo. I like the way they both have just had a red polish, two girlfriends just back from the salon. Awsome photo Edmund.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so wonderful! Along with the story and the perfect photograph the nail polish just makes it even more touching. Thanks Eddie for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eddie, this is a memorable image even without the story but together they brought tears to my eyes. Hugs to you, your wife, your mom, and Ruth! Thank you for taking the time to share it all....

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Edmund, this is such a wonderful photo and story. I am sure it hits home with a lot of our fellow photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing I can say in words about this photo. There AREN'T any words. I could hardly read the story for the tears I had just on looking at the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for such kind comments. I too had a tear in my eye when posting. I will make some prints of this for my Mom and Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eddie, your story and photo have touched my heart. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eddie, this beautiful photograph portrays such a touching story that it brought tears to my eyes. I agree that there are definitely photographs that deserve an indepth explanation and this is one of them. It is wonderful that your mother has found friends to share her time with and the fact that you and your wife visit so many residents while you are there is a blessing for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely story with a lovely photo. It's always good to have a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Moving post and picture. Wonderful capture!

    ReplyDelete