Thursday, January 8, 2009

Theme #269 "Sculpture"



The Title for this sculpture is "Pink Lady". The credit for this piece of fine art goes to my Uncle, Michael Barkin. He was married to my mothers sister Martha who now at a ripe old age of 96 resides in a nursing home in California. Uncle Mike passed away probably around 20 or so years ago. His work has been displayed in Fine art galleries in Florida, Michagen and elsewhere. Both Mike and his wife were art teachers in Brooklyn, New York many years ago. The marble used for this piece was hand picked by Mike in Italy. I believe in a town named Carrera which is known for its fine pink marble. My Uncle told me that the infamous Michelangelo picked marble from the same area. Uncle Mike died from complications of enphesima caused ironically from fine dust resulting from his sculpture work.
I must admit that capturing this image was no easy task. I tried to use natural side lighting coming in the living room window. To make a long story short after about twenty different shot trying various lighting and lenses I figured I must have at least a couple keepers. The marble is so finely surfaced that reflections of natural and fill light came from all different angles and places. It is very hard to see if the JPEG image on the camera display is a real keeper. The histograhm tells me about exposure but not focus or fine detail. That said I did post processing in Adobe Lightroom-2.2.
The Exif data is as follows: Image was taken on January 8, 2009 @ 2:45PM
Nikon D-90, with a 35-70 mm f/2.8 lens. Aperature priority mode, Matrix metering, WB-Auto, ISO-200, 1/60 sec f/11 and zoom at 70mm. Fill flash was used with compensation -1/3 stop. Tripod mounted.

11 comments:

  1. This is really an amazing piece of art and I enjoyed the commentary behind it. I am sure it holds a lot of memories! Really great image - you did it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful piece -- even more special because the artist is family! Thanks for sharing how you worked to photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fluid marble speaks volumes doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your presentation of that detailed background and complementary frame shows off this piece of sculpture magnificantly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! The explanation makes the piece even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stories behind your posts as much as the photos! I love the presentation on this piece. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the story and how you shot this. Double thanks for the image itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful sculpture and photo! Thanks for sharing all the details of you photo shoot, too. I learn so much from everyone this way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous sculpture thank you for sharing the story behind it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff Edmund

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful sculpture! And I know the lighting was tricky but you worked it out just fine...this looks like a photo from a fine art catalog!

    ReplyDelete