Sunday, January 18, 2009

Theme #355 "Weights and Measurements"




Well still stuck inside. Doctor's orders. Just to be on the safe side I use this scale to check my powder drop when reloading my own shotgun shells. I have reloading machines for all gauges of shells from 410 to 10 gauge. Some are progressive meaning every time the handle is pulled down a new reloaded shell drops out. Others are single stage reloader which take 9 steps of moving the shell and pulling the handle down. I save about fifty percent of the cost of newly manufactured shells. Because I shoot in competition which require's a lot of practice in order to not lose my competitive edge I shoot some where between 12,000 and 15,000 shells a year. With the increase in the price of lead these days it is not a cheap sport any more and I have cut back a little this year. My wife begged me to notify the local Fire Department that I have gun powder and live primers in the basement. No way, if I had a fire they wouldn't come.
The image as you can see is rather straight forward. I'm using the dinning room table with the reddish table cloth and a almost black back ground. I manually focused on the front edge of the scale to be within my accepted depth of field. When I looked at the image in Lightroom at 100% magnification every thing was nice and sharp. Because I need glasses for both reading and distance I sometimes go crazy trying to see if the focus is on. Well as my optometrist said it goes with the turf.
The exif data is as follows: Image taken on January 18, 2009 at 3:03PM with my Nikon D-90, Both Manual Mode and Manual focus, WB-Auto, ISO-320, Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 lens, 1/3 second at f/8, Spot metered and no compensation, Tripod mounted.
Enjoy

5 comments:

  1. I think it would also be acceptable for measuring, medicinal dosages for the sick.
    How much does a shot of Bourbon weigh by the way.
    Ron If you came here for sympathy boy are you in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edmund, I need glasses for reading and distance - and another pair for the computer, which is in between. Maybe you need photo glasses! ;-)
    I'm learning more about guns than I ever wanted to know, and finding it surprisingly interesting. Although, I'd be a little uneasy about gunpowder in my basement, too... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice crisp photograph. Hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this scale! So different from anything I have around my house - and isn't that part of the point of this challenge - to learn from other people's lives?

    Hope you aren't house-bound too long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eddie, I like the way your equipment in this shot stands out from the background. Well done. I, too, hope you get out soon!

    ReplyDelete