Saturday, January 10, 2009

Theme # 1 "One Hundred"




Another one of my obsessions is Shooting. I have been deeply involved in the shooting sports since I was a kid. Long Island back in the 40's was all country, woods, open land, and farms. I probably got my first BB gun when I was 5 or 6 and my first 22 when I was 10 or so. I did a lot of hunting in my early years but as I aged I mellowed out and never hunted animals unless I put it on the table for a meal. But as the above 100 patch says I am involved in the shooting of Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. I also shoot rifle when the time allows but not in competition. While in the US Navy I was also on the ships rifle team and we used to beat the heck out of all the "Grunts" on board our ship. I have managed to collect my fair share of awards. A few years ago I was involved in a shot gun competition of shooting 50 Trap, 50 skeet and 50 sporting clays targets. Well there was a 5 way tie for my class so we had a shoot off. Each person would shoot at a target and if one misses he is out. I over heard one of the participants remark "look at that guy with a pump gun". Yep that was me shooting a Old 1950 vintage Winchester Model 12 Trap gun. Well there is a old saying in the shooting world beware of the shooter, shooting a Model 12 as he probably knows how to use it. Well I won the shoot off and nicely, politely told the person who made that remark if he ever needed any lessons I would be available for a nominal charge. He didn't say a word not even congrats. The patch is sewed on my shooting vest so I pressed it down real nice and scanned it into my PC using my Epson 4180 scanner.
Did a little cropping and added a frame.
Enjoy

7 comments:

  1. Eddie, great idea for this theme. My boys are both just starting to do this sport in high school and are loving it! Great image, love how the framing sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the frame and clarity of this photo. Your explanations and stories add another layer to your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice presentation and, again, love the accompanying story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey what have the skeet ever done to you, My twenty years in the Army was dedicated to the protection of skeet, well I never hurt one. Nice Badge

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for the stories it makes the picture that much enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photo on the theme - and interesting story, too.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do a lovely job of narrating your images for us, Eddie. I love the story of how your win put that young hotshot in his place...

    ReplyDelete