Thursday, January 29, 2009

Theme # 292 "Snow or Ice"



This little area of very thin Ice was just about twenty feet from the previous post the old abandoned water tank. What struck me was the blue reflections from the cloudless blue sky and the abstract patterns of the frozen ice. After I took a bunch of pictures of the tank I was going back to the car and had to crunch my way back through this thin ice. It intrigued me, caught my attention and I took about a half dozen pictures but intuitively knew that most likely I would end up chucking them. So many times I have tried this sort of shot but find it so disappointing when I see them first hand. It's sort of like a love and hate type relationship. One minute I like it and the next minute I say to myself I must be nuts to like this image. I took six shots and played around in Lightroom with all of them. Not so much image post processing as cropping. I finally ended up with this and have a rather thick skin so tell it like it is. I know I'm crazy but one moment I like it then the next I'm not too sure if it works. And believe it or not I'm still not sure.
Exif data as follows: Image taken with Nikon D-90 on January 29, 2009 @ 3:25 PM, Aperture Preferred Mode, WB-Auto, ISO-200, Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 zoom, exposure at 1/50 sec f/5.6 @ 35mm. Hand held looking straight down.

8 comments:

  1. I like it! The light and textures make for an interesting photo. I think this one could also be used for the theme "abstract."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely works for me. It looks like an interesting painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern of the cracks and the stick (?) frozen into the ice, along with the reflections of the sky, make for a very intriguing photo. You may not be sure, but I am. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure why I like it, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with sunny and karen, I like it alot. great croping and color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is great. I'm a big fan of brown and blue together and I like the pattern from the ice. Super job!! Nice frame too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it; the color, the contrast of textures the movement of the cracks on the ice against the straight line of the wood. I think it works quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it. I like the spiderweb pattern of ice cracks, the colors. and the piece of wood diagonally across the bottom.

    ReplyDelete