Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Theme # 59 "Colored Glass"


The Church that my wife and I belong to is Saint John the Baptist Roman Catholic. On Ash Wednesday when my wife and I went to church I noticed the large circular stained glass windows which dominated each side and the front and back of the interior of the church. Basically the Church is orientated North and South. This stained glass window is on the west side so I figured the setting sun would be ideal. The weather has not been cooperating in this endeavor but today was ideal. Nice clear blue sky and near sunset was my chosen scenario. I called the Church and asked permission to take a few shots. They were very happy and if things turned out OK they would be happy for a JPEG copy for their web site. I'm sure they will be as happy as I am. I got to the Church at around 3:15PM and was surprised that there were about 10 people visiting and saying prayers. I then realized that we are commemorating the season of Lent so I tipped toed around to my vantage point and luckily was not bothering anyone. The window sits around 25' off the floor so I wanted to get away as far as possible in order not to introduce distortion by pointing my camera at a steep angle upward. So I grabbed my big glass and took a few shots. I purposely did not use any flash so as not to bother any one. All the painted walls around the window were in deep shadows and I figured that would add to the image by not distracting from my main subject the "Stained Glass Window". Most times when using my tripod and long lens I will use the infra red remote and delay when taking the shot. This will help dampen any vibration from the mirror or my hand. The Exif data below will show the basic set up. It goes with out question that I tried hard to align the camera and tripod vertically with the glass window. As the sun was setting I was watching for that shadow to disappear ( just to the left of the main vertical brace) but all of a sudden it started to get wider so I had to fire away. This was because of the low angle (to the south) of the sun. So this is the best for now. I suppose that if I want the perfect aligned shot I would come back again when the setting sun is more vertically aligned. I hope I'm not losing every body but I don't know how else I can explain my method. In fact if I ramble on any longer I too will be totally lost.
Nikon D90 2009/03/04 15:48:05
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 122mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/13 sec - F/16
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

14 comments:

  1. I thought the shadow was a fill layer but the concept of shadow walls fits well with the brightness of the glass. Great Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous photograph. You didn't lose me in your explanation, I just know I could never do all of that!! Your patience rewarded you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie, I love the photo and I understand what you did. great job. Fabulous window also. Our Church is about 8 years old but no stained glass. There is an Episcopal Church in town that is over 100 years old and has fantastic stained glass. I am going to have to try some pictures there. At least you didn't give up photography for Lent! LOL. I gave up coffee. Yuck! But at least I like teas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and worth the effort - I'm sure your church will be thrilled with the jpg for their website. You might find they are asking you for more shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful window and a nice clear shot. Who cares about the shadow! It's just how it's supposed to be with sunlight...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done. The shadows enhance the clarity of the window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've caught the light in the glass very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shot, Edmund, and I appreciate your explanation of how it was done. I noticed at the last Holy Day evening Mass that our stained glass windows are apparently lit from outside which made for the perfect photo set up inside. Sadly, I hadn't brought my camera along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful shot I love the stained glass pictures and very powerful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photo and your framing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful photo of a beautiful window. Your patience and skill in setting up the photo was well worth it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this on the elements site first and fell in love! Incredible work, Edward!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your explanation really helps in understanding the challenges of shooting a subject like this. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

    The image turned out beautifully with such lovely color and sharp detail. I'm sure the church will be very happy to have it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. photograph turned out beautiful! well done!

    ReplyDelete