Sunday, March 29, 2009

Theme # 329 "Tilt"


Well this is the "Tilting Tower of Riverhead. These surrounding area's are the last remaining rural areas on Long Island. At one time most of these farms were growing potatoes and various other vegetables. Now one by one they have been bought out by developers for housing developments or wineries. They have found out that the sandy soil and the climactic conditions are ideal for growing wine bearing grapes. This little tilting water tower is situated on a farm that still grows vegetables. It is totally covered with thick, heavy Ivy vines. In the summer you cannot really see the tower very well because of the Ivy vines. I moved out to this area thirty years ago and the tower was not on such a steep tilt as one sees today. The water tower it self is made out of wood and one wonders how long it will remain standing. I have passed this spot thousands of times and finally this blog has forced me to get my first image of the "Tilting Tower".
Nikon D90 2009/03/17 15:54:54
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 40mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/14
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 320
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

19 comments:

  1. Pisa is more impressive, but only just, I would love to poke around that old cabin. A truely great shot and Hey do you think those girls really scare me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredible venue! I have never seen a vine so envelope what is holding it up. This photo is one that should be printed, framed, and hung on the wall! At least I would on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grest photos and descriptions!

    /Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another WOW shot Eddie, I am amazed each day by your photos and finds. Great photo - colours, composition, lighting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb image, Eddie. I'm glad you captured it now as you may not have many more opportunities before it collapses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so many neat photo opportunities around you, and this one is really a Wowser!! Beautiful and unique image!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, fascinating tower with all the vines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an odd little structure. Your photo has great viny details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if the leaning tower is supporting the vine, or is it the other way around? Unique pic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the green on the roof and the vines on the tower. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat little building. Wouldn't be the same without the leaning water tower. (Wonder if the vines are what's holding it up??)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this image! Great processing, strong colors, and, of course, the interesting subject matter and tale that goes with it. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWE-some. I love this tilted tower. Long Island--really?

    Bo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just great, I can only echo all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would be interesting to get an engineer's take on what is holding up the water tower. Interesting photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This captures what I love about this part of Long Island. It thrills me to see your photos of things that are still undiscovered to me. This shot's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great find! glad you shared this with us, and that you'll have this spot forever now, regardless of what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a bummer. I have driven past this little green shack many times over the past couple of years, even stopping to take a pic of the cool door. The water tower must have been knocked down shortly after you posted this photo, because it's no longer there. I never even knew it was there until I saw this photo today, for the first time. This is just off of Sound Ave, correct?

    ReplyDelete