Saturday, March 7, 2009

Theme # 149 "Hobby"


Now since this is a Photo Blog how could I not post a picture of one of my first cameras that I got when I was around ten years old. Photography has been one of my favorite hobbies for a long time. There is a story about this camera and I promise to keep it short. My grandfather died when I was only four years old and my grandmother never remarried. There was a gentleman who was a very close friend and in ways a business partner of my grandmother named Mr. Alex Laky. He adored my mother when she was a child and when I was born I became his sort of adopted son. He always showered me with love and attention. Our family heritage is of Hungarian extraction and Mr. Laky occasionally went back to Hungary to visit friends and family. It was on one of these trips that Mr. Laky bought me this camera. It was made in Germany and when I goggled it I became aware for the first time the history of this camera. This particular model was made in or after 1938, it has a fixed lens and used 120 roll film. I shot hundreds of images with this camera but only a few survived the passing years. For those interested here is a link for Voigtlander who as I just found out is the oldest name in cameras and dates back to 1756. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voigtl%C3%A4nder
If you hit this page on the right side is a picture of my camera with a link for its history. I learned a lot about camera history from these sites.
I again used the light box with the plain white background with three lights. One on each side and one on top facing down. The lights on the sides were pointed up towards the top of the box.
Of course I used a tripod , manual focus and manual exposure. Post processing done in Lightroom2.3 and I applied a duotone effect to give the image a older vintage look.
Nikon D90 2009/03/07 18:26:46
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: 35-70mm F/2.8 D
Focal Length: 58mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/20 sec - F/16
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: Manual

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous camera. Your shot, lighting and postprocessing are perfect. Very interesting story about Mr. Laky and your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lightbox will be worn out in no time, but what a great photo and story. Good one Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting, Edward, I am sure this camera means a lit to you! I am loving that light box, you are taking some amazing shots with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another really professional image. What a handsome vintage camera with quite a story to tell...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very beautiful camera and interesting story. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice camera! Love the sentiment attached to it. Somehow, it always adds to the photo, to know the story behind it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot of the old camera. It's really beautiful, and I love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful camera and your set-up and processing are superb. Thanks for the story and thanks too for the tutorial at the forum. I guess I need a soft box.

    ReplyDelete