Sunday, March 29, 2009

Theme # 233 "Photographer"


I have been struggling with this theme since we started. I had no clue on how to do a self portrait. I got this idea from one of my CS-3 books , "Photoshop CS-3 Essential skills " by Mark Galer and Philip Andrews. Personally I think it looks pretty neat ,I love it. But of course I am biased in my opinion. My wife doesn't really care for my artistic sense of humor she kinda thinks I look gross in this picture. The Flag image is the same one I posted the other day (Old Glory). That handsome guy is me (of course) and with the help of my dear bride I got a shot of myself. My wife has no idea on how to work a Nikon D-90 so I set up the tripod in the living room, placed two modeling lamps (the ones from my Lightbox ) on each side pointing to the sides and upward. Placed the D-90 on my tripod with the flash (SB-800) on the hot shoe pointing up toward the ceiling. Then I got my wife to sit on the sofa and I zeroed her in with a full face shot with my focusing spot on her right eye. Then we swapped spots and all I did was adjust my position till the focus spot was on my right eye ( my wife looked through rear viewfinder) and when she said OK , I pushed the infra red remote to fire the shot. So it was a self portrait with a little help. We took six shots in which four of them were use able. Of all the posts so far this to me was one of the ones I had the most fun with. I converted the image to Black & White in Lightroom (not auto-then really boosted up the contrast) an did the rest of post processing in CS-3 and the frame in PSE-7.
Nikon D90 2009/03/28 21:28:12
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 80mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/11
Exposure Comp.: 0 EVS
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A
SB-800 Flash and side lighting

12 comments:

  1. Another masterful working Eddie, your talent exudes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is a great photoshop image! The patriotic photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie, that is fantastic. I have to disagree with your studio assistant - you do not look gross but distinguished. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Love this shot, I think you look great and that is a very interesting idea. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your artistic sense - this is incredible! Wish I had half your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely awesome Eddie. I love it!! What a great technique. I am speachless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic creativeness for a self portrait. Well done again on another stella image Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss this?!? So well done Eddie on every level..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning - and very imaginative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very fun shot and super processing work.

    ReplyDelete