Saturday, March 21, 2009

Theme # 260 "Rest in Piece"


The location for these grave sites is Calverton National Cemetery in Calverton, NY. I have friends and relatives interned at this cemetery. Being that it is so close to my house I make frequent trips here to pay my respects. Sometimes I will just drive around and say hello and reminisce about the good old days and times we had together. In each of these small vaults are the cremated remains of the respective individuals. A very close friend of mine, Harry had his father buried here in this section and I payed my respects a couple of weeks ago. This is the area where I took the other picture "Repeating Pattern" that I posted a while back. It's kind of hard to capture a great image as it's sort of confined and difficult to set up and compose. Any way you get what you get. I think its because we all are so used to seeing the headstones so perfectly aligned, row after row, for as far as one can see. This type of scene is not one usually sees in the Military Cemetery. This is the first time I tried to make a Collage or Montage from three different images. All three images were photographed by me on different occasions. The Statue of Liberty photo was taken when we went on a Circle Line Cruise around the island of Manhattan back in October 2007 and the waving flag was taken here at this cemetery during the Veteran's Day ceremony back in November 2006. Both of them were taken with my Nikon D-80. The reason for the Collage was to try and give some depth to the photo by adding the symbolic symbols of our Nation. Harry's father served in the US Army throughout out WW-II and was a active member of many Veterans organizations.
Nikon D90 2009/03/12 15:46:15
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: 12-24mm F/4 G
Focal Length: 12mm
Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/80 sec - F/18
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 320
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful!! Love this collage - you put it together seamlessly!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie, This is absolutely wonderful. I thought the flag was a reflection. Great job on the montage. I will have to try something like this when I get some pictures of my Dad's area at the veteran's cemetery -if you don't mind me stealing your creative idea. He too was in WWII, Korean War and active duty for 26 years (retired in 1970).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job; I love this. I was trying to decide if it was etched in or some type of reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice montage. Very fitting for the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out so nicely! A wonderful tribute to the respectful, happy memories you have of your friends and family members.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eddie, I really, really like this! I think the addition of the flag and Statue of Liberty is perfect and adds a lot of depth and emotion to the presentation. I hope you give a copy to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eddie, this is heart warming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous montage. It is presented with much dignity.

    ReplyDelete