Saturday, February 28, 2009

Theme # 275 "Sense of Motion"


This wind generator is located at the Town Of Brookhaven center where all their offices are located. I had to go there today to file some property tax papers for my mother. It was very windy with gusts in the 30-40 mph range and was also drizzling on and off so I took this image while in the front seat, window down in the parking lot. The advantage of digital becomes more apparent to me as I took about 25 shots and this probably the best one. And at no cost just delete and bring some home to post process. I had a lot of difficulty as the wind was blowing so hard and that tail assembly is hinged so it was swinging back and forth as the gusts were from slightly different directions. The tail would move the whole assembly from right to left and the speed of the propeller would change so in essence I was shooting a erratic, moving, jerky target. In order for me to get the sense of motion of the whirling propeller I had to keep changing my shutter speed up and down. It seemed to me I was always behind one or two steps as when I would increase shutter speed the propeller also did. I was trying to get the optinum shutter speed matched with the wind speed so as to get the most "sense of motion " with the blurred propeller. I could have done better with a tripod but I did not want to get my camera wet and I did not have my rain coat for my camera with me. I think the guy upstairs was playing games with me. Any way I got what I got.
Nikon D90 2009/02/27 16:15:48
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 170mm
Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/20
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto
Hand held

15 comments:

  1. Stunning capture Eddie really crisp motion grab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is sharp but the moving vanes -- good shot! And digital is the only way to go with moving objects like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I get a real sense of motion here. You did a fantastic job with this! Here is a perfect example where a grey sky enhances the scene...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edward, you nailed the sense of motion - this is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For all of your time and trouble you got a perfect shot in my estimation. Frustrating as it was it was time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of work but look at the payoff. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way good.....your perseverence payed off! Ain't digital grand?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely got it! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool that thing was going crazy fast! great shot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super photo for the theme! Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't but echo all of the above, especially Julie's point about the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - definitely caught the motion. Worth all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your comment of my photo of the moon!
    You have some lovely photos here. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice motion shot! Now I'm curious to go seek this out. Thanks for sharing the process too - it helps me learn.

    ReplyDelete