Monday, March 23, 2009

Theme # 60 "Communication"


Believe it or not this tower is for our wireless communications commonly called "Cell Phones" connections. It is located right behind a beautiful Church in Mastic Beach, NY. When they originally designed this tower the "locals" objected to its horrible, ungainly, sight right smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood. I believe these large telephone companies paid off enough Lobby Money and had a law passed that basically said these towers will be put up wherever required. The only concession was to make the tower look like a pine tree and look like part of a natural landscape. IMHO they failed miserably. But Uncle Sam gets what it wants and when it wants it no matter what.
Nikon D90 2009/03/23 16:47:32
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 60mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/40 sec - F/8
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

14 comments:

  1. Nice picture for the theme. It doesn't look a whole lot like a pine tree does it? That's what happens when the politicians try to get involved in silly stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture for the theme. It certainly doesn't make for a good pine tree. Nevertheless, at least it's better than just the cell phone tower ! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is unique Eddie in all honesty that is much preferable to any tower in Australia, Thanks for that shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whad an odd looking structure. I can't decide if it's an improvement over a simple straightforward tower or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pine tree?? One bare tree that is! Too funny what people pay for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great picture of ???... words fail me. I guess someone was pining for the Fjords when they designed that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first time I spotted one of these I just about crashed the car! Why bother disguising it when in order to function they have to locate it where it is going to tower above all the other trees? Just seems crazy to me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "pine tree" is communicating "help me! Put me out of my embarrasment"! That's a sorry looking pine tree but a superb photo. Too bad they couldn't do a better job of disguising it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We encountered a couple of these while traveling in the Green Mountains last fall. Husband thought it was just an ugly tree until I mentioned the cell tower. I'm told Las Vegas sports palm tree versions of these. Great way to illustrate the communication theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shot, it looks like Dr. Seuss designed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You photographed it beautifully but I agree, they failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't these funny? We have one near me and it stands out above the tree line and is obviously fake. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Or not! LOL OMG, I've never seen one of these before...this has got to be the 'cheesiest' thing I've seen in a while...I'm still laughing at the "disguise"! LOL Thanks for the giggles...it is perfect for the theme though!

    ReplyDelete