Thursday, March 12, 2009

Theme # 259 "Repeating Pattern"


I was at Calverton National Cemetery here on Long Island visiting the grave site's of relatives and friends. This area is so different then most areas as this is the "Columbaria" where the inurnment of cremated remains are placed in small vaults. I have a very good friend whose father is buried here. I paid my respects to Harry and noticed that in between the sections where the vaults are located is a sitting area where one can meditate and perhaps reminisce or say some prayers. The repeating patterns were apparent but how do I photograph this structure which is at least fifty feet long and get the impact that I was looking for. It was late sun and the shadows were not cooperating with me at all. It was cold and my hands were freezing cold and I knew that this was a image for a wide angle lens. The car was parked quite a distance from here so I took about ten shots with my Nikkor 18-200VR lens but when examining the the focus with the zoom on the camera it just was not hacking the job. So off I went colder then ever and got my wide angle. Took one shot and came home. I use Adobe Lightroom extensively for PP my RAW files. I did all sorts of PP but just could not get the POP that I was looking for. So I went over to my presets menu and hovered my mouse over each one and you can see a thumbnail of the effect and when I hovered over this one I knew it was the one I wanted. Sort of surreal but it does get your attention. I very rarely use presets as I'd rather do the job myself and then save some of them for future use. Prior to using the preset I did not like the fact that I had some trees on the right and left as they(IMHO) were distracting. No matter what I tried I could not get what I wanted, but when I hit the preset the image popped out at me and the trees didn't bother me in the least. The link for those presets are here: http://www.albertdebruijn.com/gallery/page.php?13
He also has some new ones simulating film, The one I used for the image above was called ADB Steel Dark. His site is very neat.
Nikon D90 2009/03/12 15:48:27
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: 12-24mm F/4 G
Focal Length: 12mm
Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/80 sec - F/22
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 320
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

21 comments:

  1. You just keep getting better every image, this is sooooo cool! nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely awesome! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The end result was certainly worth the effort. Glad your hands thawed enough to do this processing work - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful image Eddie the only thing that caught my eye was the repeat of apparent weather lines in the beams (didn't seem random" was that what your preset achieved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shot...turned out excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your effort paid off well, Edmund! This is a very effective shot and does a wonderful job of illustrating the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Awesome composition and processing. It does look like it goes on forever...

    Thanks for the reminder about Albert's site. I like his steel presets but they disappeared in my hard drive failure a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, an amazing photo! I think your processing was just perfect. Love the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for providing us with such a beautiful photograph and for the history of where it was taken. I love the color and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eddie, I am new to downloading presets to Lightroom (I have V.1.3) and would like to download the preset used in this photo. Will you please explain how I do that? Silly question, I know, but I can't figure it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of work, but well worth the results. The saturated color, the perspective, and the different repeating patterns catch the eye and hold it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool picture Eddie, I also like the paper clip picture. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so sureal. It immediately draws you right into the photograph. Glad you went back for your wide angle lens!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great photo for the theme. And the background really adds that extra dimension

    Bo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great selection for the theme. The blue background is incredible. Nice contrast with the beams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic image! These presets, do they work with PhotoShop CS2 as well?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ditto to all of the above!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eddie, you have been TAGGED!

    Iona tagged me and here are the rules:
    •Go to your photo folder on your computer
    •Go to the 6th folder of photos
    •Go to the sixth picture
    •Put the picture on your blog and a description of it
    •Invite six friends to join the challenge
    •Link them in your blog
    I hope you join us in this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great perspective for this shot - love the pattern you picked up

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the perspective and effect that you've created with this shot ! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A few per cent from Four Your Stoxx American financial index closed down Thurs right up 51 percent along with the insurance policy list received ThreeLanguage of ancient greece Pm George Papandreou Nike Shox 2011 claimed the offer would certainly handle his country's backing wants until finally 2020 and make it really is debts eco friendly, nevertheless experts wondered regardless of if the lessening could well be Christian Louboutin Black sufficient to prevent any restructuring within the moderate termA few experts also believe Ireland in europe in addition to This particular language might ultimately ought to rebuild their particular sovereign credit card Jimmy Choo Sale debt, despite the fact that Western european officials were adament about Thurs that this Language of ancient greece connect trade wouldn't be utilised as being a design for people a couple of Discount Nike Shox places I don't assume it is disappearing, and debts trades seldom operateFurthermore, the actual commanders promised a "Marshall Plan" involving Western community purchase to assist restart the actual Ancient greek economic system, Monster Beats which can be inside a deep tough economy due to draconian austerity steps added by the EU along with the IMF Indonesia offers compared with thatThis ECB relented and signaled it had Monster Beats been willing to permit A holiday in greece standard temporarily beneath the approach, even though Trichet explained to reporters he or she didn't want to prejudge regardless of whether that would arise Discount Air Jordan Indonesia offers compared with that

    ReplyDelete