Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Theme # 300 "Spring"


Well "Spring" has arrived. I have been trying to get a picture of these little spring " Crocus's" for about two weeks now. My wife and I walk our dog all over the place and every time I spot one of these little guys I say to myself I'll come back in a day or two with my camera and get a shot. And the next time when I go back all set to get a fabulous picture the little flowers are gone. Needless to say I think Ron (from down under) has been reading his mystical powers book and has put a hex on letting me capture a spring Crocus picture. Well yesterday, when I saw these little guys I placed a Rosary, Garlic Cloves, a Wooden Stake and a Cross in front of them and it worked I got my shot today. I waited until almost sunset for nice warm, soft light. This location is down the block and across the street in the local non-denominational cemetery. I took another image here for my blog titled "Rusted". Because of the setting sun almost everything was in deep shadow except for the little flower. The light was perfect and I was able to isolate the Crocus from the background pretty well. On the light side I took a little plastic water bottle with a spray attachment and when I sprayed some water on the flower it closed up on me. Luckily I took around a half dozen shots before I did that. Sadly I must also say that the gravesite where I took this picture was an aquaintance on mine who was killed in the 9-11 attack on the WTC. I used my Nikkor 105mm Macro lens and a Tripod.
Nikon D90 2009/03/31 16:41:57
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: 105mm F/2.8 D
Focal Length: 105mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/15 sec - F/22
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: Manual

19 comments:

  1. Picture perfect! Love the lighting and colors and the hints of bright yellow peeking out from the center! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your effort and patience paid off big, Edmund. This is a beautiful shot and wonderful illustration of spring. Crocus open in the warmth of sun which really influences your shooting time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful close up. I love the stripes and the vibrant colors. The framing is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magnificent Bokeh of this seems to give it an unearthly touch for me. Exceedingly pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful photo eddie. I really like the bright flower against the dark background. The purple just pops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous! Love the purple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You captured such fantastic detail and I really like how the background fades out. Glad you shared the tip about the spritz of water closing up the crocus. This was definitely worth the wait!

    I'm sorry about the loss of your friend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shot. Light and color are just beautiful. Great outcome for the crocus challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Again your patience has paid off in spades! I love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photo of the crocus - it's opend up just the right amount and the red stamen in the center of all that purple is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful lighting and detail and I'm so glad your charms managed to prevail against Ron's evil spells. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend too - especially for the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a nice job on this. I like how the pedals are still turned inward. Nice capture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful flower and beautifully done photograph. Your patience paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't been around for a while, so just catching up here. All of your photos are great, I have always been an admirer and these latest do not disappoint. The tower particularly appeals and good to get a bit of the history.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photo of a beautiful flower. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice color, composition, and sharpness. Seems all that effort paid off.

    ReplyDelete