Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Theme # 188 "Monuments or Memorials"




This is only a very small section of the Memorial dedicated to Trans World Airlines (TWA) Flight 800. Flight 800 was a scheduled international passenger flight from John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in New York to Leonardo da Vinci Airport in Rome, Italy. On July 17, 1996, at about 20:31 hrs. EDT, the Boeing 747 exploded in mid-air and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the shores of Long Island near East Moriches, New York. All 230 people on board (two pilots, two flight engineers, 14 flight attendants, 212 passengers) were killed and the aircraft was destroyed. A good link for more details on the accident can be found here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800#TWA_Flight_800_International_Memorial
I am not too sure about this image but figured I would post it any way and go back again to the memorial and try again. This was my third trip to this site and very few pictures if any can do it justice. I tried early morning, late evening right before sunset and today a little earlier in the afternoon but cloudy, overcast dreary sky. The problem was that the monument itself is highly polished almost black marble and the sun and blue sky reflecting off it would drive me crazy. Every thing around would be reflected like a mirror and it was sort of difficult to really see the etched names and designs in the marble. Today's reflections look like I converted it to Black and White but that is not the case. It's in color. I know what image I want but have not been close as of now. If you browsed the link I provided you can see the whole Memorial and get a better feel for what it looks like.

Nikon D90
2009/02/10 15:08:37
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: 12-24mm F/4 G
Focal Length: 19mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/50 sec - F/8
Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 500
Optimize Image:
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

6 comments:

  1. Great perspective here - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did well with this shot. Memorials are such sad things, no pictures can ever convey the events. I went to the Vietnam Memorial in DC and was in so much awe, I will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The angle you have captured sets off the lettering. I like the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo...it must have been difficult to get with all the reflection. I remember that incident and there are still theories that it wasn't an "accident". I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have created a great photograph of this momument. It has to be so hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job with a tricky subject, Eddie. You captured some neat reflections without catching your own...

    ReplyDelete