Sunday, February 1, 2009

Theme # 266 "Rusted"


This image would fit numerous themes but as you can see there is some rust in the picture. A cemetery would probably be the last place to look for a rusted item other maybe a gate or something. This is a headstone with the triangular shaped iron chime. There is no name on it or for that matter no writing at all. It's located in the older section of the cemetery so I would presume that it dates back to the mid 1800's or so. We live across the street and up the hill so this is the perfect place to walk my dog "Honey" whom you met in a previous post. I've tried to capture this headstone before but to be truthful could never get the right lighting. It's up on a pretty hill and today the setting sun did it justice with it extra warm tones and shadows. I had to take it on this angle as my shadow would get in the way. I couldn't kneel down as the grass was a muddy sponge. It was quite breezy today and the chime has a surprisingly beautiful deep bong sound similar to a sea buoy. Maybe he or she was a sea Captain or loved the sea. I know I will re-visit this headstone to really get it right as I'm not too sure about this one. The whole picture does arouse my interest because of it's different open shape, the chime and of course the shadow and warm lighting.
Date/Time: February 1, 2009 @ 3:41 PM with Nikon D-90

Lens:Nikkor 18-200 VR
Shooting Mode: Aperture Preferred
Image Format: RAW
Metering Mode: Matrix
ISO: 320
White Balance:Auto
Shutter Speed/Aperture: 1/160sec. f/8 Focal Length: 27mm
Technical Notes:
Flash: none
Location: Long Island
Editing Software: Adobe Lightroom 2.2, CS-3, PSE-7
Image Count: /365

10 comments:

  1. Nice shot Eddie but I was expecting a self portrait, maybe that will be past it's prime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen anything like this fascinating headstone. And your photo is lovely - including the long shadow makes a really nice composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice shot with the shadows and all -- and a MOST unusual headstone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. And the angle is just right, as it allows most of the shadow to show. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice image - love the shadow as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photograph. The shadows are great. Very interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool shadows and rust too. Great job with nice clear details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful....the shadows, shapes, textures and colors. All of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice image. I like the color, the composition, and the lighting.

    ReplyDelete