Thursday, February 19, 2009

Theme # 267 "Sandy"


This is my first post in a few days so I feel I must apologize for not visiting all the other post's and blogger's but I have been so busy. It's good to get back in the groove as they say. This picture was taken at Smith's Point County Park, Shirley, NY. I took this the same day that I took the other fence image and the image of the TWA Flight 800 Memorial. It's funny because I rejected this image from being posted as I initially did not really care for it that much. But I kept going back to look at it and realized that I liked it. It was a beautiful warm day about 40 degrees Fahrenheit and there were a lot of people visiting the park. A young couple in love (constantly kissing) were watching me take pictures and when I stepped off of the sand dunes and walked toward the beach the young man asked what was I taking pictures of. I tried to explain to the both of them that the late sun, beautiful textured white and light tan sand and the fence with the shadows was so interesting. But I know that he could not see these things. When I got about 100 feet away he walked over where my foot prints were and looked down where I was looking and told his girl friend that there was nothing there. I was taking pictures of the pretty rough surf and really was not concentrating where I was walking or in what direction and the next thing you know a larger then normal wave came in and I got soaked way above my ankles. I didn't panic, drop my camera or tripod but very nonchalantly walked out of the surf back to the sandy beach. A lesson to be learned concentrate on what you are doing not on a young couple. They thought it was quite funny. Well needless to say that ended my photographic journey of the day. Homeward bound to change sneakers, socks and pants. It looks like snow but the sand is almost pure white very fine and then turns to a golden tannish color.
Nikon D90 2009/02/07 16:24:32
RAW (12-bit)Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/320 sec - F/6.3
Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance:

11 comments:

  1. Must have been COLD getting soaked that way! but it was worth it to have gotten this shot with its intricate interaction of light, shadow and wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful image, love the clean lines and the shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suffering for your art! I like this shot so much, the line and shadow and the fence corralling your eye in the frame is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shot. You have a much better eye for beauty than that young fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. I thought it was snow but after a second look I saw the beautiful sand. Glad your camera didn't get wet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, Eddie. I'm glad you revisited this image and decided to post it. The shadows are wonderful and even the snow has texture. Definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! All the lines and shadows you've captured are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 40ยบ? Balmy? You're kidding, right? And with wet feet. Brrr!

    Too bad those kids couldn't SEE. Lot of that going around. Feel sorry for someone who can't see the beauty in almost everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best things about this projects is how it has opened my eyes to so many things. I SEE more around me than ever before. It makes me sad to think how much I have been missing. Great story.

    I thought the sand was snow, and I love to be surprised. The shadows make it a very interesting pic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful image. I also thought the sand was snow. I'll be watching for you out and about with your camera too, neighbor! (I'm just down the road a bit in Sayville).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see a beautiful image of lights and shadows. It does look like snow! It is amazing what I can see now.....

    ReplyDelete