Saturday, February 7, 2009

Theme # 98 "Fences"


Today, here on Long Island it warmed up to a sizzling 45 or so degrees. I just had to take advantage of the heat wave so naturally went down to the beach to see what I could find. This scene is situated at Smith Point County Park, Shirley, NY. It is a beautiful park located on the ocean front and has swimming and camping facilities. It is also the home of the Memorial of TWA Flight 800. I went there to take pictures of the Memorial and what ever else captured my interest. When I saw this fence and the golden colors of the tall grass I knew I had a winner. The fence itself is only about two feet high. I wanted the best depth of field possible so I went back to the car and got my tripod. I cranked up the ISO to 320 and stopped down my aperture to f/25 and took 3 shots at different zoom settings. The reason for my choice of a higher ISO was that it was pretty breezy but I still wanted a fairly fast shutter speed to stop the wavy tall grass. What amazes me the most is the depth of field I got with this lens. Its my general walk around lens that at times I have been known to say is a little too soft for my liking. I actually focused on the bottom of the left most post and I guess coupled with the f-stop chosen came out smelling like a rose. I really did not expect this with a so called general purpose walk around zoom.
Nikon D-90 2009/02/07 16:18:58
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 32mm..1/50 sec-f/25
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 320
White Balance: Auto
Tripod mounted
Image count: 27/365

17 comments:

  1. This is so lovely! The colors are terrific. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shot, Edmund. Crisp focus up front that fades nicely as the eye travels down the fenceline. The colors are a perfect blend (extra points for noticing that and planning your shot accordingly!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edmund, I am captured by this picture. It just pulls me in. WOW what else can I say. You pictures are just outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful depth of field, Edward! Love the fence line and love that it looks like you can just reach out and touch everything. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely beautiful. I too love how you can reach out and touch. The colors are warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent capture as usual, Edmund.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this, the color the composition, the focus....

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Great shot! I love that grass against the fence, the color is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can almost feel the sea breeze and smell the salt air.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful lighting, texture in the grass, and nice angles to the fence. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shot, Eddie! The waving grass and the wavy fence perfectly compliment each other and form an excellent composition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is better than awesome!! Great perspective on this shot. The angles, textures, lines, color all fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adore the colours and of course the composition is spot on. The best bit though is when I first open your page and say, "oh wow"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photo..did you take any with the grass moving in the wind? Would love to see what that looks like too. Wonderful shot!!
    TFS
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did such a wonderful job planning the exposure on this and your efforts paid off in spades! Fantastically beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ditto what everyone else said! and I like how you framed the shot multiple times as well.

    ReplyDelete