Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Theme # 326 "Things With Wings"


Look at the wings on them geese or is it goose..
I made my "Do It Yourself" light box today and it seems to be working out pretty good. These Grey Goose bottles are pretty tall so you can see the seam between the back panel and the top panel. But I have only two lights and I believe a third light (pointing upwards toward the ceiling) would make that joint seem less. If you notice the bottle on the right is 3/4 full while the one on the left is empty. This stuff goes down really smooth like water and really works wonders when you are constructing a light box. I had the stereo on blasting some Rock music from Pink Floyd and Meat Loaf and my wife had to lower the volume at least a half dozen times. But I'll tell you I had a great time making the light box. The first attempt the light box came out round.......Only kidding around. It only took about a hour to make. Actually very simple.
Nikon D90 2009/02/25 00:22:58
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 27mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
1/6 sec - F/25
Exposure Comp.: 0
ISO 200
White Balance: Auto

17 comments:

  1. Great use of the theme, Edmund! Using the lightbox really made the colors on the bottles stand out. Looking forward to seeing more use of it in future photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to stop flying Grey Goose Airlines Eddie, it's gone to your head, well your hair really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shot and story Eddie. Aren't those homemade lightboxes fun? I actually made two sizes. Now I just have to find a place to store a really big one so I can use it for portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That box really made these bottles and colors jump out at you! Sounds like you had more fun making the box rather than using it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! It sounds like building things makes you happy. Is it only when you are doing it to display the Grey Goose? Thanks for all the details posted with your pictures - it helps us newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your construction story! I could have used a little of that during my light box construction phase...after the legs tipped over 3 times in a row (needed a little super glue, I think!) THe results are great! The bottle colors really POP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shot, Eddie! And a very funny story too...

    Do you think you could explain your construction and the lights you're using, maybe on Elements Village?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful idea for the theme. Kudo on the light box, it's great. I wouldn't even know where to start!! Great frame too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shot and fun story. No fair extorting Julie though after all she's done ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your take on the theme and your story. After seeing the rather formal picture in your profile the Pink Floyd and Meatloaf was an unexpected twist. Have you checked out Long Island's own Vodka? The distillery is right here in Baiting Hollow.
    http://www.lispirits.com/home.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shot, great story. (You could have shared the Grey Goose with us!) I, too, would like to know how to build a light box. Know of any good instructions out there (maybe your own)?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! I really needed a laugh right now. I've never quite seen this take on things that fly. Though maybe after a half bottle, the photographer just might be flying! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful lighting - I read your tutorial thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEAUTIFUL color!!!! Have a couple of shots of these and YOU'LL have wings! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turned out FAB! Sounds like you had a great time playing tunes and playing with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've been thinking of making a lightbox myself. do you recommend before or after drinking?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your wife must get you a pair of earphones or buds or whatever they call them now. My DH does NOT like the music I play when I am at the computer. A trip to the store....so now he doesn't hear it at all....

    I will get your lightbox tut over at the village.

    ReplyDelete