Friday, April 24, 2009

Theme # 55 "Closely Cropped"

On Thursday evenings, in the nice weather, they have a car rally in the local King Kullen parking lot. This has been going on for years and I know some people who display their restored automobiles at these get together's. Yesterday when I took this shot of the 1965 Black Ford Mustang, the 6PM late afternoon sun was burning directly, straight on into my lens. I told my wife "no go", the light is not right, all I will get is burned out highlights and bad reflections with a lot of lens flare. Well she said take a few shots and see what you get because it will probably be raining next Thursday. So I took about ten clicks and and true to my expectations there was a lot of very over exposed highlights. So I went off to the Police Museum to get some other photos(see below). When the sun is a little higher in the sky in late June/July I will go back. Last evening I was playing around with these shots to see what I could salvage and use for the Blog Monster. I'm so far behind I figured what the heck post it. I kinda like it, it's different. The extreme close crop (IMHO) adds to the mystery of what this auto looks like in full view. I'll keep going back on Thursdays and get a good full shot of some of these autos. The original un-cropped version had the sky blown out with pure white pixels and a lot of lens flare off the fenders. I'm getting good look at the shutter speed (1/13 sec.)hand held non-VR lens.
Nikon D90 2009/04/23 17:47:55
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: 12-24mm F/4 G
Focal Length: 15mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/13 sec - F/22
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

10 comments:

  1. I love the image, Eddie. Goes to show you should never delete anything from your memory card until you've had a chance to play with it in post processing. You're right, it's a tack sharp image. I like photos of classic cars - hope you'll get back to take more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a great shot. The B&W makes it more impressive. Crystal clear shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome crop and I am looking forward to seeing the whole car! Bet it is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful crop. I love old car shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great crop...I like how you kept the "ford" on the hood. My folks had a 67 mustang back in the day...fun car!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one - I like the ominous look as if it's staring back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing you didn't throw this one away. Perfect for this theme. The Mustang logo and the Ford lettering make this car crop perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still a nice shot, would have been better had it been a Camaro, but you can't win them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh if we still had that old mustang now....

    ReplyDelete