Monday, April 13, 2009

Theme # 360 "Who Put That There?"


This is a crazy fun shot. I went looking for a specific image and it did not work out. So I took a little ride and went down to the docks to see what I could find. There was not a boat in the Patchogue town Marina and it was around 7PM and I could tell with the dark grey clouds no sunset was in the coming. So I made a U-turn and on my way out I spotted this owl on the vertical pole. While I was in the car I thought it was real. So I silently and quickly got my camera and put the tele-zoom on and stepped out of the car. It was then I realized that it was a carving. Pretty neat, I've been here many times and never saw it before. These VR lens are great, look at the exposure 1/25Th sec @ 170mm with the ISO cranked up to 640. Hand held.
Nikon D90 2009/04/13 19:10:25
RAW (12-bit)
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 170mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/25 sec - F/11
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 640
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

11 comments:

  1. This is the most realistic carving; even if the colors are creative. Usually owls are the plastic kind put up to discourage other birds from roosting. I don't think they work for very long. You got lucky here, and the ISO setting allowed you to photo even in the early evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great good to know that I am not the only one to have done that, at least you didn't have three locals laughing at you in an uproarious manner, while I tried to slink away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great shot for the theme and you've certainly mastered your camera to get it in the fading light of evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My smile is real big! You don't know how many times I have done this myself! Hey, at least he couldn't fly away! LOL Wonderful and humorous shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot. Nice lens for sure. Is that similar to the Canon image stabilizing? (I only have one of them - so expensive. I bet I have passed carvings before and thought they were real too. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still amazed that I am seeing things that I never saw before in places where I often go. I'm glad this guy stayed in position for you to take this great shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot, he certainly looks real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nifty catch....I would probably have to do a double-take too as I am used to seeing the plastic ones mounted to "scare" off gulls (doesn't work for long).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, "owl" I'll be darned! It's funny how we are beginning to see things we never saw before, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crazy fun is right - nice catch and I'm glad it didn't get spooked and fly off! Now that really would have been a surprise.

    ReplyDelete